Event Catering Ideas
Hosting a big event can be overwhelming and a challenging task for even the most organized person. The main thing you need to do to make things easier on yourself is to get organized. You need a list of the people you’re inviting to the event so that you can get a head count. The next thing is to decide on the style of event and the food that you will be serving. This is dependent on the type of event. If it’s a wedding, you might want a served meal but if you are having a birthday or anniversary you might choose a more informal option such as a barbecue.
No matter what the event is, you going to need the proper decorations, serving utensils, dinnerware, drink glasses and other decor such as napkins, candelabras, and flowers and so on. While planning a big event can be stressful, being organized and planning things out thoroughly can help your event be huge success.
If you are holding a banquet and need banquet catering ideas, here are some things to think about. It can sometimes be hard to get started, but if you keep a few things in mind you should be able to have a great banquet catering experience.
The first thing that you need to think about is what kind of banquet you are throwing. If it is a wedding banquet, you will usually be a bit more formal. A business meeting or corporate awards banquet or recognition ceremony will also lend itself to a more formal atmosphere and menu. If it is a teen banquet or other less formal occasion, you can be a little less sophisticated with your menu.
Before you choose a banquet catering company, it is wise to determine the location of your event. This way, the caterer will have a better idea of how and where they can set things up. If you need to rent additional items like plates, silverware, tables, or chairs the caterer may be able to help you. They cannot help you, however, if you don’t know whether you need these things or not. They can also have a better understanding of how many servers they will need and what kind of set up is required. If you don’t have a location in mind before you choose a banquet catering service, the caterer may have a recommendation.
When you are planning a menu, try to discuss your thoughts with the head chef. Don’t just deal with the banquet catering sales rep or the manager. The head chef can advise you of any specialties that he or she may prepare especially well or what dishes he catering service hk or she would recommend with a particular main course.
Another great banquet catering tip is to serve small portions of several different courses. By doing this you ensure that your guests don’t get too full and they also remain interested in the food. Focus on presentation to make the food attractive. This way, no one feels deprived by the smaller portions. They are just impressed by the looks of the dish.
Breads are universally expected in banquet catering. To keep guests intrigued from the time they sit down, make the bread basket a variety. Don’t just serve plain rolls. Serve all different kinds of breads. This way everyone’s tastes are satisfied and no one gets bored.
Serve unusual desserts to impress your guests. They don’t have to be overly expensive, but make sure they are pretty and delicious. This is the last food item and your chance to make a positive lasting impression so take advantage of it.
Banquet catering can be a big job, but if you keep some of these ideas in mind, you will be able to wow your guests and have them talking about your event for months to come.
Here are some tips to think about if you are considering hiring an event catering service:
1. It is easier! The caterers will do all the work you just need to tell them how many guests and pick a menu. You probably want to plan on meeting with them about six times before the event to work out the kinks.
2. Hire them ahead of time. Many of the really good catering services might be booked a year in advance and certainly most of them will need a three to six month lead time in order to properly cater your event. Therefore, you’ll need to start looking at catering services as soon as you know that you are going to need one. The further ahead you can book them the better your choices of caterers will be.
3. Sometimes bigger isn’t better. Sometimes the biggest and most expensive event catering services aren’t necessarily the best ones. A lot of the smaller ones may work harder as they are still building a reputation. Plus, sometimes the bigger ones use canned or packaged foods while the small ones will typically make everything from scratch.
4. Network. The event caterers typically have a network of complimentary services like florists, decorators and disc jockeys so if you’re looking for any of these services you might want to ask your caterer who they might recommend. This could end up being easier and maybe even cheaper for you.
5. Do your homework. Before you hire anyone, you want to make sure you do your due diligence. Check all references to make sure that other clients were satisfied with the job of the caterer. Also you want to make sure that they are certified in safety procedures as well as food handling. The certification is done by your local Board of Health and they should just have it posted right in their place of business. In addition, get a copy of their liability insurance to make sure they are covered.